As Passport is Mandatory Nowadays, Thousands of People are Applying to get Passport. It’s Obvious that all of them has Different Queries, but there are some questions we are getting which are Common.
Frequently Asked Question About Passport Application
Q. What are the various passport services and which form has to be filled in?
- Issue of Fresh Passport: You can apply for fresh passport if applying for the first time.
- Re-issue of Passport: You can apply for re-issue of passport if you want another passport.
- Miscellaneous Service: Issue of Police Clearance Certificate (PCC).
Q. What types of passports are issued in India?
- Ordinary Passport: An ordinary passport has blue cover, and consists of 36 or 60 pages. It is valid for 10 years from the date of issue and can be renewed for another 10 years. An Indian citizen can use this passport for ordinary vacation or business travel.
- Diplomatic Passport: Has maroon cover ; Issued to designated members of the national government, judiciary , statutory authorities, diplomats, official public couriers and any other person specifically authorised by the Govt.
- Official Passport: Has grey cover ; Issued to designated Non-gazetted govt servants or any other person specifically authorised by the Govt deputed abroad on government business.
Q. How do I apply for a passport in the new system?
For issue of fresh passport and re-issue of passport, you need to fill the application form online via e-Form Submission (preferred) or via Online Form Submission. For Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) also you need to fill the Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) Application Form online via e-Form Submission (preferred) or via Online Form Submission.
Q. What is the procedure to apply for duplicate passport in case of lost or damaged passport?
To apply for duplicate passport in case of lost or damaged passport, you have to fill the Passport Application form and apply for “Re-issue” of passport.
Q. What do I do if I lose my passport?
Loss of passport should be immediately reported to the nearest Police Station and to the Passport Office or Indian Mission, if abroad. You can apply for “Re-issue” of passport at your nearest PSK and submit the required documents along with your passport application form. To check the complete list of documents to be submitted along with the application form, please click on “Documents Required” link on Home page.
Q. What is the process to change the date/place of birth in the passport?
To change the date/place of birth in the passport, you have to apply for a “Re-issue” of passport and get the specified change done in the personal particulars. To check the complete list of documents to be submitted along with the application form, please click on “Documents Required” link on Home page.
Q. How do I apply for a Police clearance Certificate (PCC)?
You can submit the filled in Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) Application Form at PSK /, within the jurisdiction of your Passport Office . You need to attach the self-attested photocopies of following documents along with the Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) Application Form:
- Passport in original with self-attested photocopy of its first two and last two pages, including ECR/Non-ECR page (previously ECNR) and the page of observation , if any , made by Passport Issuing Authority and validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport.
- Proof of Present Address (if address is different from the one mentioned on passport).
Q. Where can I submit the diplomatic /official passport application form?
Normally applications for diplomatic and official passports are entertained only at the Consular, Passport and Visa (CPV) Division, Patiala House, New Delhi. However, you may apply at the Passport Office having jurisdiction over your present residential address.
Q. What are the things I need to take care of while applying for a passport online?
To apply online, you need to be a registered user. When you apply online, you also have an option to download an e-Form that you can fill offline and upload later on. For downloading the form you need not be a registered user, but for uploading the form you need to register yourself.
Q. I want to apply for a fresh passport. Can I apply for the passport at a Passport Office as it is near to my place?
No, you cannot apply for a passport at a Passport Office. You need to visit Passport Seva Kendra to submit your passport application.
Q. Is it necessary to paste the photograph in the printed copy of online filled Diplomatic/Official Passport Application Form? If yes, what should be the specifications of the photograph?
Yes, All applicants need to carry two coloured photographs (size 4.5 x 3.5 cm) with white background. Applicants should affix photographs on the printed copy of the online filled application form.
Q. Do I need to provide original documents or will certified copies or extract be enough?
Applicants are required to attach self -attested photocopies of all the required documents with the application form. Original documents must be produced at the counter; which will be returned after verification.
Q. I am working in a private bank. ? Am I required to furnish my Identity Certificate?
Only Government/Public Sector/Statutory body employees need to submit their Identity Certificate. Employees of private banks are not required to submit Identity Certificate while applying for passport.
Q. Do I need to submit a Birth Certificate for re-issue of a passport?
In case of re-issue of passport, you need to submit a date of birth proof, if either your old passport is lost/damaged or you want to change date of birth details in the passport. You can submit the one of the following documents:
- Birth Certificate issued by the Registrar of Births and Deaths or the Municipal Corporation or any other prescribed authority, whosoever has been empowered under the Registration of Birth and Deaths Act, 1969 to register the birth of a child born in India.
- Transfer/School leaving/Matriculation Certificate issued by the school last attended/recognised educational board having the date of birth of the applicant.
- PAN Card issued by the Income Tax Department having the date of birth of the applicant.
- Aadhaar Card/E-Aadhaar having the date of birth of the applicant
- Election Photo Identity Card issued by the Election Commission of India containing the date of birth of the applicant.
- Driving licence issued by the Transport Department of the concerned State Government, having the date of birth of the applicant.
Q. What is the fee for applying for a passport?
To know the fee details for ordinary passports, please click here Fee Calculator . No fee is required for Diplomatic/Official passports.
Q. How can I make the payment? What are the accepted methods of payment?
Online Payment has been made mandatory for booking appointments at all PSKs.
Online Payment can be made using any one of the following modes:
- Credit/ Debit Card (MasterCard and Visa)
- Internet Banking (State Bank of India(SBI), Associate Banks and Other Banks)
- SBI Bank Challa
- SBI Wallet Payment
Q. How much do I have to pay for Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)?
The fee to be paid for Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) is Rs.500/-.
Q. How can I cancel my appointment and get refund on cancellation?
Once you have paid fee and booked the appointment, then refund of paid amount is not permitted.
Q. What is the validity of fee?
Payment will be valid for one year from the date payment has been made. If you have booked appointment then the validity of fee will be one year from first appointment date.
Q. Can I change the scheduled date of appointment once the payment is done through online?
Once an appointment at Passport Seva Kendra is confirmed, it can be rescheduled only two times within a year of the first appointment date.
Q. How much charge/amount do I need to pay while paying through e-Mode payment option?
For Debit/Credit cards, bank will charge 1.5%+service tax. Any change in the charges will be notified accordingly. However, there are no charges levied for using SBI and its Associate banks internet banking and payment through challan. All relevant charges are available on the payment screen.
Q. What should I do if amount is deducted but PSP Portal displays the Payment Status as “Pending”?
You may reconfirm the payment status on the next working day using the “Track Payment Status” link on the “Applicant Home” screen. Post payment confirmation, you can proceed with appointment booking using the “Schedule Appointment” link on the “Applicant Home” screen.
Q. How can I enrol and Pay for SMS Services?
You need to select ‘SMS Services’ while submitting application and pay in cash Rs. 40 (inclusive of all taxes) during your visit to the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) for application processing. Fee payment receipt will be provided after successful SMS fee payment at the PSK.
Q. Why is Police Verification required for issuance of passport?
Passport is a very valuable document. Thus, in order to ensure that it does not go in wrong hands, police verification is required for issuance of passport.
Q. What are various Police Verification modes?
- Police Verification is required on a Post-Passport Issuance basis.
- Police Verification is required on Pre-Passport Issuance basis.
Q. What is the mode for dispatch of passport?
The passport is dispatched by India Post through Speed Post to the present address of the applicant.
Q. Can I personally collect my passport from the Regional Passport Office (RPO) once it is prepared?
Passport can be collected by the applicant personally over the counter at the RPO only in case of urgency. Applicant will be required to submit an application, stating the reason for urgency, to the respective RPO for same. However the final decision about delivery of passport over the counter is vested with the concerned Regional Passport Officer.
Q. My passport booklet is damaged. I want to go abroad on urgent basis. What should I do?
In case your passport has been damaged but recognizable, i.e. passport number is readable, name is legible and photo is intact, then you can apply for re-issue of passport under the Tatkaal scheme. But, if passport has been damaged beyond recognition, then you cannot apply under the Tatkaal scheme. In that case, you need to visit Passport Officer at your nearest Passport Seva Kendra to get the passport on urgent basis.
So, These are the Frequently Asked Questions for now. We’ll keep Updating this page with More issues and answers. You can Comment your Questions below; We’ll be happy to help you.